Panoramic image of HMS Protector, in the vast and beautiful landscape of Antarctica.
On the 2nd December 2013, HMS Protector conducted a base inspection on the Ukrainian, Vernadsky Research Base. Vernadsky was established by the British Falkland Islands Dependencies survey in 1947. The main hut, built on the site of an earlier British Graham Land Expedition Hut, was named ‘Wordie House’ after Sir James Wordie, a member of Shackletons Imperial Trans Antarctic Expedition. Wordie House has been restored and is designated as Historic Site Monument No 62.
The Base was renamed Faraday Station in August 1977 in honour of British scientist Michael Faraday until Ukraine took over the operation of the base in February 1996.